Monday, July 2, 2012

From the Editor's Desk: Google I/O 2012 postmortem

From the Editor's Desk: Google I/O 2012 postmortem

Phil Nickinson

Hey, look at that. We've survived another edition of the Google I/O developer conference. I always feel a little out of place here, though. I'm a journalist, not a developer. And while most of the events I attend in the U.S. and abroad are showcases, tailored to pamper and impress in hopes of getting a favorable write-up (especially if the device is, shall we say, lacking), Google I/O isn't for me at all. That's not to say I don't learn anything, and that those of us in the Third-and-a-Half Estate don't have our usual great time. Because I do, and we do.

But I'm not a developer. When a Googler flashes a string of code up on a screen to the oohs and ahs of a couple hundred or couple thousand developers, I have only a fleeting understanding of what I'm looking at. (Oh, I get the broad strokes, but don't ask me to whip up an app for you anytime soon.) And make no mistake, this event's all about the developers, a fact Jerry so astutely reminded us of on Sunday.

As for me? Let's look back a little bit at what we saw this week -- and what we didn't see as well.

read more






Marisa Miller
Cat Power
Moon Bloodgood

No comments:

Post a Comment